Thursday, January 20, 2011

IT IS ABOUT THE BIKE

The very first real “racing bike” came to me in a funny way.  My mother’s old friend was a big wig in the Russian Sports Ministry (whatever it was called back then).  He knew that I was fanatical about riding bike (fat tires, cow-horn bars, rubber pedals and one speed).  and once (after a few shots of vodka) promissed to get me  something good to ride on.  I did not pay much attention to bragging of my mother's half drunk friends.  However this was not an empty promise. One day my mother received a call from him that he is on his way to pick us up (he owned a car, enogh said?). He drove us to some guy's backyard and then I saw  the bike.   Blue, beautiful... with toe clips and gears! And then I learned that it was just raced at the Russian nationals by  Cherepovich. (!!)  It was of course a Russian made bike  with Campy backwards engineered components.  I was gasping for air. The guy standing by the bike was another big wig, former racer and a coach responsible for pro cycling in whole Russia.   I was told not to ride it until I talk with him about ...bike riding. We met next day in his office where he among other things told me NEVER LOOK DOWN while riding, especially while getting into toe clips. That advise along was 


But that was not all.  The bike came with the name, telephone and address of the nteam’s mechanic who was to provide sew-ups and any repair if needed.  That was pretty handy since neither parts no sew-ups could be bought in Russian stores.   I rode that bike for a number of years catching other people glances and being envious of myself. I was 14.  Later in life when I was an adult and could afford I bought the same bike. They were still making them.


Fast forward to the life in US.  Up until the ripe age I was riding and racing Columbus SLX Bianci frames with whatever components I could afford.  It made no difference, everyone had about the same.


In 1997 when I could not race anymore I received from my wife Richard Sachs 25th Anniversary edition as my 50th b'day present.  Custom made for me, it was  #14 out of 25 ever made.  I rode it until 2008, rain, shine, slush, sand.  Original Campy components still work like new after about 50K mi.  All I ever did to it was wash the salt off after winter rides, lube the chain and change it twice a year.  Its steel frame does not have a trace of corrosion and looks as beautiful as ever.  If I rode some old beater in “wet and dirty” I would have ridden Sachs that much less.  Bike itself is huge part of riding experience for me. I always wanted to have the best bike hand made just for me.  Richard was an easy choice: one man operation who makes one bike and one bike only.  Needless to say that being a cat.2 himself and racing that exactly bike  every weekend he already changed everything in that frame to make it into perfection.   I picked my up in Richard's shop and went for a shot ride.  It the first time I was moving through the air and there was no bike under me. The last  I heard the waiting list was 4 years.  Someone said he does not take new orders any longer. 


10 years later for my 60s b'day it was Colnago C50 from my very generous daughter and her husband. This bike does not need an introduction. When I first stomped on its pedals the whip lash was noticeable. The problem is that instead of dropping others on my cheap bikes it is me who is being dropped now, Colnago or not. Nevertheless I am looking forward to getting on it more than ever.


I never owned a stable of old beaters and firmly believe that life is too short to ride anything but the best if it matters to you.  It does to me. I can tell the difference.  My approach has always been getting slightly better than the best I can afford. Money only matters when you actually paying, but the compromises will follow you for as long as you own the thing, whatever it is.  The pleasures of riding the top made machine will be with you every time you get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment