Tuesday, January 18, 2011

RIDING WITH TYLER

On his first time riding with us we did about 60.   Tyler obviously needed more. When he asked if somebody wants join him, there were no takers…but me.  Let’s make it clear- riding 60 miles at a nice tempo in December is an achievement (at least for me).  Any more miles was suicidal.  But I thought that this was one and only chance to ride with Tyler and it would be stupid to pass it. For the rest 30 miles it was just the two of us. I did not want just to sit on his wheel, so we rode side-by-side (as much as I could).  After about 15 miles I was cooked and mentioned to Tyler that he should not wait for me.  His answer was: “What’s the rush, the Tour is 8 month away”.  We were doing 15-16 mph and talking about all things, except cycling.  I could not walk for two weeks after that 90 mile day, but I will always remember that day. Just like I will always remember April 27, 2003 when after the ride we came to the parking lot and Dave called his wife.  Tyler won Liège–Bastogne–Liège!” he yelled.  That day he joined the greats. That race video I watch every year while on my trainer and it still gives me goose bumps.

Tyler was always comfortable riding with us, laughing at our jokes, taking our laughs at him well , blocking me from sprinting for my town lines or yelling at me to stay at the front more than those few seconds that I could.  Watching him riding was a special treat – the word “perfection” comes to mind.  Unbelievable smoothness and efficiency. Not a single calorie was spent over what’s necessary.  I used to make a point to sit on his wheel as long as possible hopping that some of it rubs off (it did not).

If it was not for his team clothing, you would never tell that you are riding next to the winner of L-B-L, Dauphine Libere, Tour of Romandy and much much more. As a matter of fact Tyler never assumed that everyone has to know who he is.  In the beginning some guys still did not know.  It was funny to see their reaction when they  learned who they were talking with all along. many times Tyler would just sit in the middle of the group and ride our pace talking with guys. When the pace gets somewhat erratic because of our “winter champions”, he would go to the front and make it nice and smooth.

These rides meant something for Tyler too.  How do I know?  Once he was a few minutes late and we left without him.  He caught up with us on his truck and asked us to wait.  We are not waiting for anybody, if you are late, you chase. So he drove ahead, parked his truck on the side of the road, changed and chased us (not that it was too much of a problem for him).

There was much more to my acquaintance with Tyler than riding and that was his human side.  Here was this guy who was on TV all over the world, who rings the opening bell on NYSE, who opens Red Sox game.  Same guy riding home in the waning light of day and see my friend Billy fixing a flat on the side of the road.  He waits to make sure Billy is all set…all that was just a couple of hours before flying to Europe to win LBL,  Romandy and the Stage 16 of TdF.  (Billy’s story).

Somehow I always felt connection with this kid.  Maybe because the hard times come upon both of us in the same 2004, although in totally different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment